Invitation to the 14th ILO African Regional Meeting
Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire, Tuesday 3 to Friday 6 December 2019.
The 14th ILO African Regional Meeting will be held in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire. It will bring together the ILO’s tripartite constituents from 54 countries as well as representatives of international organisations, intergovernmental and non-governmental institutions - all invited by the Governing Body.
Using the Director-General’s Report on Advancing Social Justice for the Future of Work We Want:Africa’s Decent Work Agenda 2020 -2030 as a starting point, the meeting will be the opportunity to discuss the Addis Ababa Declaration, the ILO Centenary Declaration as well as progress in the region since 2015 on the implementation of the Decent Work Agenda, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the African Union Agenda 2063.
Proposed issues to be discussed
Discussions will take the form of plenary sittings, special plenary sitting (presidential panel) and thematic panel discussions. Each discussion will have an employer spokesperson. However, other employer delegates may also intervene from the floor to support the position of the employer spokesperson and to provide practical examples and experiences from their country.
The following agenda items have been selected for discussion:
- Discussion of the Report of the Director-General
- Presidential Panel on the Future of Work We Want for Africa
- Thematic plenary sitting on International Labour Standards, Social Dialogue and Gender Equality in the Realization of Decent Work Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals
- Thematic plenary sitting on Making Decent Work a Reality for Africa’s Youth
- Thematic plenary sitting on Skills, Technological Pathways and Productivity for a Brighter Future of Work in Africa
- Thematic plenary sitting on Transforming Africa’s Informal and Rural Economy for Decent Work
- Lunch discussion concerning the promotion and application of the Tripartite Declaration of Principles concerning Multinational Enterprises and Social Policy in Africa
Please see the full agenda here.
Office background notes as well as IOE comments to the Office notes will be made available before the meeting.
Director General’s Report
The DG’s report is an important document serving as the basis for discussions in the plenary. The Report will likely explain what has been achieved by the Office in the region over the past four years and will highlight future initiatives.
Employers’ Group meeting
The Employers will have the opportunity to meet every day from 09h00 to 10h00 to discuss and agree the Employers’ position for each discussion. The first Employers Group meeting will take place on Tuesday 3 December from 09h00 to 11h00. The last group meeting will take place on Friday 06 December from 9h30 to 11h00.
Please find in the links below the following information:
- List of pre-selected hotels
- Link to the meeting ILO webpage with all available information
- Rules for the regional meetings.
Roberto Suárez Santos