- IOE Position Paper on harnessing female talent for the digital economy(April 2020)
- IOE Position Paper to foster female talent in top management levels(April 2020)
- IOE-ACTEMP Women's Economic Empowerment - Good Practices from National Employers' Organisations & Partner CompaniesKey Takeaways from the Compilation (March 2018)
- IOE-ACTEMP Compilation of Women’s Economic Empowerment – Good Practices from National Employers' Organisations & Partner Companies Appendix I (March 2018)
- IOE-ACTEMP Compilation of Women’s Economic Empowerment – Good Practices from National Employers' Organisations & Partner CompaniesAppendix II (March 2018)
What is Diversity?
Diversity within a workplace encompasses race, gender, ethnic groups, age, education, religion, sexual orientation, political beliefs, mental and physical conditions, as well as other distinct attributes and qualities among people.
Why is Diversity relevant to business?
Businesses throughout the world face the challenge of attracting and retaining the best possible teams of employees. Effectively harnessing the best possible mix of experience, skills, perspectives and strengths is critical for competitiveness, productivity and profitability, and is actively pursued by businesses throughout the world.
It is now increasingly recognised that:
- A successful, diverse team builds a strong reputation for the company.
- Businesses are enriched operationally and financially with the unique contributions made by different individuals.
- Successful workplace diversity is increasingly viewed as a critical part of organisational performance, and is an indicator of business leadership performance.
- Fostering workplaces that respect and include differences increases employee morale and productivity.
What is IOE’s position on Diversity?
IOE recognises that workforce diversity increases business efficiency, productivity and sustainability, and therefore, positively impacts economic performance and society as a whole. IOE works to support its members in all countries, at all stages of development, to promote a wider understanding of the benefits of workplace diversity and to equip them to engage with domestic law and regulation in drafting diversity policies and practices that are not only legally compliant, but fully realise the operational and productivity benefits.
With regard to the promotion of gender equality, in particular, it is generally in an employer's interest to promote workplaces that are free from discrimination against women (and others) and to ensure that decisions related to employment are based on an individual’s merit rather than other attributes. In this context, employers aim at the effective elimination of barriers to equal access to training and education, recruitment and career development opportunities.
How does IOE’s work in Diversity advance the agenda for business?
IOE recognises that, in general, individuals face unique challenges throughout various stages of employment. The specific nature of these challenges and the means to address them depend on the national, social, cultural and economic contexts in which they live and work.
IOE’s field of work on diversity includes:
- IOE supports the adoption of ILO Convention on Discrimination (Employment and Occupation), No. 111, and promotes the ILO Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work, which includes non-discrimination with respect to employment and occupation and informs the labour principles of the UN Global Compact.
- IOE works in collaboration with the ILO Bureau for Employers' Activities (ACT/EMP) to provide first hand support and guidance on diversity and gender equality at the country level.
- IOE works cooperatively and participates in global policy framework discussions with the Business and Industry Advisory Committee to the OECD, BIAC, to jointly advance the business case for diversity and gender equality.
REMINDER: Register now: Certified UNITAR/IOE training course on women in business and management
The IOE Gender Network is organising this innovative new course which is open to all IOE members and partners. Apply now for full funding,…
IOE reports show gender diversity is good business strategy
IOE is launching 2 new policy papers on promoting female talent in top management and how the digital revolution is helping more women join the…
IOE NY Joins UN Debate on Women’s Empowerment
During the most recent session of the Commission on the Status of Women, IOE took part in an interactive debate on women’s economic empowerment.
Four business reasons to promote gender equality and diversity
On International Women's Day, IOE highlights the business case for gender equality and diversity.