Resumen de los mensajes y documentos principales de la OIE en la materia (en inglés)
The Japanese G20 employment process ended with the G20 Labour Ministers Meeting on 1 and 2 September in Matsuyama. IOE President Erol Kiresepi and IOE Secretary General Roberto Suarez represented the international business community in the Ministerial as well as the L20 Summit on 30 August in Tokyo. Key messages of the IOE in these meetings were (please find the speeches in the Resources Section):
- The rate of global progress with regards to SDG 8 has been, so far, sluggish. More ambitious reforms and much more determined action to implement the Agenda 2030.
- Without a vibrant private sector there are no jobs, no decent work and no economic growth. Sustainable economic growth, based on productivity and an enabling environment for business together with decent work, are the pillars that underpin social justice.
- It is urgent to promote regulatory and policy frameworks which encourage companies to grow and employ people, undertake more action on women’s economic empowerment, increase youth participation in the labour market, address the challenge of informality, align education systems with tomorrow’s labour market needs, improve the effectiveness of lifelong learning, and develop a “think-small-first-approach” that fully analyses the possible impact of regulations and policies on SMEs before they are enacted or approved.
- A much stronger implementation of G20 commitments at national level is needed. The full engagement of Social Partners in national follow-up is key.
The G20 Labour Ministerial in Matsuyama focused on:
- Adapting to demographic change by identifying key challenges and developing policy priorities;
- Fostering inclusive and fair labour markets for gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Responding to new forms of work, including through exchange of national experiences and practices;
Please find the G20 Ministers Declaration also attached in the Resources Section.
On 1 December the G20 Presidency will move to Saudi Arabia. IOE will be again the networking partner for the Future of Employment and Education Task Force. We will reach out to all members in the B20 and G20 Employment work stream next year.
Please do not hesitate to contact Matthias Thorns in case you have any question.